25 Jul 2014
One win and one loss leaves Pate's 50/50 on tour

Wednesday 23rd July

The day started off with the boys having the chance to share their experiences from their billets the night before, another great experience for them on tour. On our way to seal island we passed through Chapman’s Peak, a picturesque drive with some fantastic scenery, before seeing the Twelve Apostles. We even squeezed in a stop off in Camps Bay for a bit relaxation time on the beautiful beach. Off to seal island next for a boat trip to see a seal colony up close and personal.

Then it came to the serious bit, our matches against Jan Van Riebeeck. The games were played under a beautiful setting beside Table Mountain, something that will live long in the memories of the players. The B team were first to kick off against Jan Van Riebeeck U16A team and got off to a pedestrian start did not take the chances that were presented to them. However, it didn’t take long for them to start exerting some dominance in the game with strong carries from the front row of Seb Ellis, Jamie Gordon and Henry Morris which gave a platform to work from. A try came just before half time from the ever impressive Will Banister who unfortunately got injured in the process, resulting in his withdrawal from the game. Despite a sore knee, we were pleased to see Will back to his cherry self within minutes. With the pressure becoming more dominant and the defence being led by Tom Millward and Gavin Woods, the game looked certain for a Pate’s win. A try from Joe Elyan and two from substitute Harvey Collins along with two conversions and a penalty from Henry Mitchell’s boot, cancelled out the ten points scored by the opposition. Next up was the eagerly anticipated final match of tour for the A team, going against Jan Van Riebeeck’s U19A team. With their team consisting of players who undoubtedly had a physical presence, Pate’s rose to the challenge and met them head on. A defensive line held strong by thundering tackles from Mac Dale and Charlie Miles it never looked like Jan Van Riebeeck were going to score. The A’s were the first on the scoreboard with a wonderfully created try and great finish by George Adams, scoring his first on tour. Not long after a try came for Joe Gare from a well executed training ground move which worked superbly with the newly formed backline, Gare converting both. One downside was a number of penalties going against Pate’s, with a number of cards shown to the players. At 14-0 at half time things were looking promising but when the second half started it carried off where the first half finished. Penalties and cards were what cost the team resulting in Jan Van Riebeeck scoring 26 unanswered points. Disappointing as it was, the team showed a lot of character and determination which will undoubtedly spur the boys on for the upcoming rugby season. The day all ended with some great post-match hospitality and the boys heading back off to their billets.

The rugby on tour has been challenging and the boys have, to a man, raised their games. The development in individuals and teams has been as much as we could have asked for and we thank the boys for their commitment.

We now look forward to relaxing through the last few days of tour.